One of the biggest challenges for many businesses is understanding how to leverage the different types of Google ads. Before we start with the topic, let us first understand each element included in this. Let’s start with what a google ad is?
Google Adwords or Google Ads, is an advertising brand of Google that makes creating online ad campaigns easier and faster. These online ad campaigns are designed in a way that they deliver the best value addition to the business.
Roughly speaking the google ads can be classified into the below-mentioned types:
- Text Ads
- Responsive Search Ads
- Dynamic Search Ads
- Image Ads
- App Promotion Ads
- Video Ads
- Product Shopping Ads
- Showcase Shopping Ads
- Call-Only Ads
Although these ads may appear on the same page, the key difference lies in the way they are managed. The brands can gain significant value through an integrated approach using these ads. The text ads have high flexibility in terms of the landing page, ad copy, headlines, and keywords. Shopping ads can be a bit more rigid.
What is a TEXT-AD?
Although video & image campaigns have gained immense popularity in recent times, the efficacy of text ads is irreplaceable. It is easy to produce a text ad copy and is also less expensive. A Text Ad consists of the following:
- 3 Headlines which can have up to 30 characters each.
- A description that covers product/ service details and CTA.
- URL of the landing page to give the customer a clear idea of what they expect.
What is a SHOPPING-AD?
Even though it is just 20% of the retail paid search click, the shopping ad holds plenty of opportunities in generating sales for an e-commerce store. The algorithms pull the data off the store and craft ads automatically, matching it with the relevant search queries. This type of ad initially takes more time to set up but is a little less ongoing effort later on. A Shopping Ad consists of the following:
- Product Title within 150 characters matching the landing page.
- Product Image of 100 by 100 pixels.
- Product Description of up to 5000 words, which helps Google to decide the ad position.
- Product Price acts as a major attraction.
- Product Ratings provide significant trust to visitors.
How is a Text Ad different from Shopping Ad?
The efficiency of the ad format solely depends on the nature of the product/ service. Both of these formats can be run together as they do not exclude each other.
The shopping ad and text ad both appear on the same search result page, yet carry their differences.
- The destination URL in the text ad can be any landing page, while in the case of a shopping ad, the URL leads to the product detail page.
- Text Ads contain only text and are paid ad campaigns, while the shopping ads are free and contain images.
- Text Ads have high flexibility, while the shopping ad is a bit more rigid in a way.
- The Text Ad has three headline fields with 30 characters each, while the shopping ad has a 70 characters title field.
Shopping ads are driven by a feed that is created based on the products on the website. The products within the feed are put in groups and then bid on by the advertiser. In a shopping ad campaign, the brand must have to be more specific about the product detail page, whereas the text ads can be sent to the category landing page or product detail page.
It can be said that CTR is better in the text ad, as the advertisers get better control over the keywords. On the other hand, the benefits of a visually appealing shopping ad format can not be missed. People are more likely to engage with visual content over text-only content. The conversion rate/cost and CPC are better with shopping ads and thus can perform well for the e-commerce segment. Text ads fail here, as e-commerce merchants have a limited space to describe their products. Thus for e-commerce merchandise, an eye-catchy product image can boost the conversion even with minimal text space.
Which is better of the both- Shopping Ads or Text Ads?
Shopping ads were developed by Google specifically targeting the e-commerce advertisers, which makes sense that they perform better than Text Ads. However, some studies prove otherwise, due to which one could not just say shopping ads are inherently better. The feed-driven text ads have a high conversion rate which can be automatically created based on the information in the product feed. Shopping Ads don’t allow bidding on specific keywords while the text ad is created using the information from the feed and thus creates a perfect match between the search and product.
Understanding this, advertisers elect to use both the ad formats in their campaigns, which when done correctly aids the appearance of the SERP.
We suggest a healthy combination of text ads and shopping ads for a strong e-commerce PPC strategy. A balance of these two advertising methods can maximize the PPC results. Text ads give the customer better control while the shopping ad allows the advertiser to refine what is displayed. Playing around the right mix, an advertiser can get the best overall ROI.
What is a Responsive Display Ad?
Responsive Display Ad is created automatically by Google, which fits best in the available space on the Google Display Network. These can be used for both, regular display campaigns and smart display campaigns. Companies that do not have an in-house design team, and still want to run an ad campaign, engage themselves in responsive display ads.
- Design: Focus on the individual elements to ensure the best possible effectiveness of the ad. Elements include headline, image, logo, business name, description, etc.
- Headline: Images or videos can ditch on the search page result, but headlines always drive in clicks.
- Previewing Ad: Previewing the ad before going live would give you a glimpse of what the ad would look like. It is also shareable and thus can be shared around before it goes live.
Benefits of Responsive Display Ad:
- Fast & Effective: It helps in making the digital marketing campaign easier, manageable, and effective. A normal bunch of display ads can be time-consuming as one needs to adjust image sizes in order to place the ad in the available space.
- Saves Times: Responsive Display Ad is a perfect temporary solution when struck in a short deadline. Even a business with a dedicated designer team does think that creating standard ads is the hardest part of the process, as it takes up significant time for the designing team.
- Boost the Message: With a Responsive Display Ad, one can produce highly adaptable, giving the opportunity to reach a larger audience base. It is always advisable to separate RDA from the other image-based ads to avoid unexpected marketing expenditure.
- Better Performance: RDAs many times do perform better than standard display ads. These ads are used as dynamic remarketing campaigns by attaching themselves to the feed.
- Utilize Video Resources: Practice adding videos in responsive display ads is more effective for advertising traction. Video can encourage engagement if used appropriately. Five videos of up to 30 seconds can be used from the youtube channel.
- Good source of traffic: More the ad size, better the reach. This type of ad can fit within any available space. Thus RDAs are a good option for a campaign with goals of higher CTR and lower CPC.
It is truly said a coin has two sides. Now let us see the downfalls of the responsive display ads:
- Display ads won’t have any branding: Google doesn’t create different RDAs for different brands. And thus all the ad works will look the same, which can be a huge drawback when it comes to text ads, as it is very difficult to differentiate.
- Less control over the combination: In RDAs, one cannot say which visual and text combination would be displayed. Sometimes the combination would not even make sense.
- Less insight on campaign performance: The ad is run by Google for a limited amount of time and the optimal combination is determined by the algorithm. The ad is continued by Google based on the algorithm. Even though the performance of each asset is overviewed, the data segment is quite limited.
The responsive ads are constructed by google automatically. All the advertiser needs to do is create a display campaign in a google ad account. Responsive ads have an edge by being simpler to create and making them easier to test. For mature brands, increasing conversions, control over creatives, and insight are a must. This is why RDAs are not the best option for them. Using display ads will save them from looking generic and also have effective use of asset combinations.
We, as a digital marketing agency, bet on responsive display ads for the following reasons:
- Highest CTR: RDA gets a much higher click-through rate than an image ad, despite being less eye-catchy. Image ads may gain fewer clicks due to banner blindness.
- Lowest CPC: Average CPC for image ads is 3.5 times higher than responsive display ads, despite the fact that ads were sharing the same maximum CPC bid.
- Lowest CPA: Even though an image ad might have a higher conversion rate than a responsive ad, the cost per acquisition is much lower than that of an image ad.